Here’s what the experts had to say about the IRBF index

Here’s what the experts had to say about the IRBF index

Sharelines

Find out what the experts had to say about the #IRBFIndex. @OxfamIndia @BizResponsible tell you. http://bit.ly/1ihnVb8

@OxfamIndia @BizResponsible have ranked 100 companies on inclusion. Read what the experts are saying about #IRBFIndex. http://bit.ly/1ihnVb8

The first India Responsible Business Index was launched in New Delhi on Tuesday (October 27).

India Responsible Business Forum (IRBF) is a platform to promote adoption of inclusive and responsible business practices by the top 100 Indian companies.  

The index was developed by Oxfam India in collaboration with Corporate Responsibility Watch, Praxis and Partners in Change. 

The first edition of the index analyses policies of the top 100 companies listed on Bombay Stock Exchange from the lens of inclusion.

The event witnessed a gathering of top entrepreneurs and minds of the corporate world, who came together for the launch of this first-of-its-kind index.

Here’s what they had to say:

Pooran Chandra Pandey, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network, India

“We now have a gradual withdrawal of the state from welfare activities. That gaps needs to be filled by the private sector. Governments are broke all around the world. The money will be coming from the businesses.  We can do nothing in a stand-alone manner. It has to be done together by the Civil Society Organisations, Private sector and Government.”

Pooran Chandra Pandey speaking at the launch event.

 

Tom Thomas – CEO, Praxis & Convener Corporate Responsibility Watch

“Equity of wealth creation is a huge concern.”

Tom Thomas speaking at the launch event.

 

Nisha Agrawal, CEO, Oxfam India

“Globally, 1% own the same wealth as the remaining 99%, surely they have some responsibility toward us. We don’t want to leave anyone behind.”

 

Nisha Agrawal speaking at the launch event.

 

Kiran Karnik, Board Chair, Oxfam India

As we use the index to find out how the companies are doing, we should also tap into the investors and consumers. We as Civil Society Organisations must push to get partners. Partners with big investors and consumers.

 

Kiran Karnik speaking at the launch event.

 

Narayanan Ramaswamy, Partner – KPMG Advisory, India

If there is anything that can bring inclusiveness and sustainable development, it is business. If you keep Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) away from business you can call it corporate social donation. CSR is integral to business.

 

Narayanan Ramaswamy (first from left) part of the panel discussion at the launch event.

 

Check out the how the top 100 companies in the country are ranked on the basis of inclusion.

 

 

Written by: Oxfam India staff

Photo credit: Mustafa Qureshi

 

 

 


Others

Find out how Oxfam India is enabling communities by working to provide a life of dignity and equal opportunity for all.Get to know more about Oxfam India`s latest projects.

Read More

Related Stories

Education

17 Sep, 2019

New Delhi

Oxfam India helps Gudiya restart schooling

Gudiya (centre) with two of her friends who also went to the centre run by Oxfam India.

Thirteen year old Gudiya* came to Delhi with her parents, who migrated from Assam five yea

Read More

Education

23 Jul, 2019

Jharkhand

Jharkhand’s Geeta* Goes Back to School

Geeta Kumari, a 13 year-old class four student of the Munda community had to drop out of school in 2018.

Read More

Education

05 Jul, 2019

Chhattisgarh

Devyani goes back to school

Ten-year-old Devyani* very nearly dropped out of school. Had it not been for Oxfam India and Samerth’s effort, her education would have come to an abrupt end. 

Read More

Humanitarian Response and DRR

27 Jun, 2019

Odisha

Lakshmi Returns Home After Fani

Grief and anxiety were writ large on Lakshmi Bhoi’s face.

Read More