Programme Officer - Gender Justice
Oxfam is marking its 65th year in India this year. Oxfam India, a fully independent Indian organization (with Indian staff and an Indian Board) is a member of a global confederation of 18 Oxfams.
The Oxfams are rights-based organizations that fight poverty and injustice by linking grassroots programming (through partner NGOs) to local, national and global advocacy and policy-making. All of Oxfam’s work is framed by our commitment to five broad rights-based aims: the right to a sustainable livelihood, the right to basic social services, the right to life and security, the right to be heard and the right to equality: gender and diversity.
Oxfam India's vision is to create a more equal, just, and sustainable world. The overarching vision of Oxfam India is “right to life with dignity for all”. Oxfam India will fulfil its vision by empowering the poor and marginalized to demand their rights, engaging the non poor to become active and supportive citizens, advocating for an effective and accountable state and making markets work for poor and marginalized people.
Oxfam India is an equal opportunities employer.
Job Title: Programme Officer - Gender
Department: Programme & Advocacy
Level / Pay Band: A7
Contract: 3 Year Fixed Term (renewable)
Reports To: Director – Policy, Research and Campaigns
Scope of Position:
In line with Oxfam’s strategic plans and policy guidelines, to work under the leadership of the Regional Manager in planning, implementing and monitoring agreed objectives / issues with Oxfam partners, addressing issues of Ending Violence Against Women. Participate in and contribute to the development of wider institutional strategy.
- To support large funded programme /projects and the relevant partners at the state level for addressing issues of violence against women and girls within private spaces through regular visits and undertake project appraisal, monitoring, evaluation, including financial monitoring.
- To support the Gender Justice team of Oxfam India in establishing links between micro-level project work, state level policies and macro policy and practice environment.
- To ensure minimum organisational standards in programme quality and programme reporting for back donors
- To undertake specific research and policy analysis exercise for programme development and influencing on the theme of ending violence against women and girls and effectively communicate it in various forums and to mass-media.
- To design, plan and execute state level influencing work, in line with the national campaign/guidelines/strategy, on both policy and social norm change with a variety of relevant stakeholders as and when appropriate.
- To lead and contribute to the implementation of a campaign on domestic violence for influencing a variety of stakeholders in the state and nationally.
- To liaise with appropriate government officials, donor agencies, state level organisations and other relevant bodies as necessary.
- To lead and contribute to the development of quality proposals for the development of gender justice portfolio both nationally as well as for the state.
- To lead and contribute in gender mainstreaming at regional level and partner’s programme by ensuring quality inputs on all partner proposal, PAM process and by making visits to programmes.
- To actively participate in and contribute to all team processes leading to programme development, management and effective functioning of the team s/he is part of.
- To contribute to the regional team goal by working effectively as a team player adopting collaborative & consultative ways of working
- Implement Oxfam’s Gender Policies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Social Science qualification and substantial working experience of at least 6 years addressing issues of gender discrimination, Violence against women and poverty, out of which minimum two years should have been with a grassroots development organisation.
- Good understanding of gender and diversity issues in North India.
- Well developed analytical, conceptual and writing skills.
- Proven track record of achieving results of project management, development and financial management
- Experience of capacity building and training of civil society organisations
- Proven ability in social research and macro policy analysis
- Well developed interpersonal and team skills and flexible in demanding situations.
- Experience in policy advocacy and lobbying with government on policy issues
- Proven track record of achieving results which includes management of projects, partners and finance.
- Good written and spoken English and Hindi is essential.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and actions.
- I.T. skills.
- Physical fitness for travel and a willingness for sustained fieldwork.
Relocation: During the course of employment the post holder may be required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace controlled by Oxfam India
Travel: Ability to travel within country and abroad as required.
- All applicants should apply on email@example.com
- All applicants to put “Programme Officer - Gender – Patna", as the subject line
- All applications should have the covering letter and the CV as a single document, in a word format.
- Applications without the exact subject line will not be considered.