Programme Coordinator – Health
About Oxfam India
Oxfam is marking its 66 th year in India this year. Oxfam India, a fully independent Indian organization (with Indian staff and an Indian Board) is a member of a global confederation of 20 Oxfams.
Oxfams are rights-based organizations that fight poverty and injustice by linking grassroots programming (through partner NGOs) to local, national and global advocacy and policy-making. All of Oxfam’s work is framed by our commitment to five broad rights-based aims: the right to a sustainable livelihood, the right to basic social services, the right to life and security, the right to be heard and the right to equality: gender and diversity.
Oxfam India's vision is to create a more equal, just, and sustainable world. The overarching vision of Oxfam India is ``right to life with dignity for all ‘‘. Oxfam India will fulfil its vision by empowering the poor and marginalized to demand their rights, engaging the non-poor to become active and supportive citizens, advocating for an effective and accountable state and making markets work for poor and marginalized people.
Oxfam India is committed to influencing the national and State governments to achieve United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal No. 10 on reducing inequality. Oxfam India, as part of the Global Even it Up Campaign (EiU) of Oxfam Confederation, advocates for greater spending on public health and education and progressive taxation policies. Oxfam India’s campaign against inequality involves a series of public engagement activities to shape public perceptions on the issue and shift the terms of debate from a free market led economic growth model to a redistribute social welfare model. Thus, Oxfam India believes that while the ill consequences of inequality are many, inequality is not inevitable. It must be and it can be checked and reduced.
Oxfam India is an equal opportunities employer.
Job Title : Programme Coordinator – Health
Department : Policy Research and Campaigns
Location : New Delhi
Level / Pay Band : A6 (Coordinator)
Contract : 3 Years Fixed Term (renewable)
Reports To : Lead Specialist – Essential Services
Scope of Position :
- Contribution to articulating Oxfam India’s position on key emerging health and inequality issues at national and global levels
- Contribution to development and delivery of Oxfam India’s policies and advocacy strategies on health in line with campaign priorities at national, regional and global levels.
- Contribute to resource mobilization towards realizing thematic & organisational goals & objectives
- Support the sub-national advocacy work of Oxfam India staff, partners and allies in the country working on health.
- Establishing a stronger link between policy/campaigns/advocacy and grass roots programming.
- Contribute to two-way flow of knowledge from grass roots levels to national and international levels.
- Contributing to Oxfam’s global campaign and advocacy around health.
- Contribute to discussions around India and the World on relevant health and inequality issues
Key Responsibilities :
- In consultation with national, regional and global stakeholders design and deliver the Oxfam India’s influencing and advocacy strategy on health issues with a focus on reducing inequality. Develop quality concept notes and proposals in sync with organisational & thematic goals & deliverables
- Play an active role in the global Oxfam Essential Services team and help shape Oxfam’s overall global direction and strategy through contribution to analysis and policy development.
- Represent the country’s issues in Essential Services strategy formulation processes.
- Communicate Oxfam India’s views to wide range of actors, including civil society organisations.
- Liasoning with the government & relevant institutions in New Delhi and support partner-led advocacy in States along with the regional teams. Use the intelligence gathered from these events to contribute to the development of overall programme goals and strategies.
- Manage critical thematic partnerships in Delhi or as and when entrusted by Line Manager or SLT
- Utilise evidences from Oxfam India’s grassroots level interventions in various states to influence state and national level stakeholders
- Undertake and commission policy research on major development issues, especially in relation to health with a focus on inequalities of access and opportunities to quality healthcare. You will produce briefing / discussion papers, research reports, policy position statements on issues related to health.
- To work with regional offices to manage relationship with Oxfam programme partners through regular visits and undertake project appraisal, monitoring, evaluation, including financial monitoring; and ensure programme quality & minimum organisational programme management standards.
- Manage grant processing and ensure that the terms of contract (in case minimum funds received from others donors) are met.
- Develop public communication materials in coordination with the Communication Team.
- Play a critical role in establishing and strengthening alliances with national and international networks of key stakeholders.
- Ensure that gender, diversity and social inclusion analyses are applied across all levels of planning and delivery.
- Monitor, produce and compile regular reports such as donor reports & quarterly progress reports and updates on the implementation of the campaigns and programmes for partners, donors along with regional offices.
- Mobilise and coordinate internal and external financial and other resources to implement agreed strategies and plans, along with Oxfam India’s Fundraising team.
- Work closely with the Public Engagement team, Programme Coordinators across various themes and other staff to engage with varieties of stakeholders, civil societies, mainstream & social media, key experts and opinion makers, policy influencers, the general public and youth for campaigning around health and inequality issues.
- Coordinate with Finance and Procurement Departments to process contracts, budgets etc.
Qualifications and Experience :
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Master’s degree, preferably in social sciences, economics, health or similar disciplines
- 6 years of experience in a similar job experience in developing and implementing campaigning and advocacy strategies that bring about significant policy and/or practices change and experience of handling externally funded large scale multi-state project
- Experience of contributing articles in peer reviewed journals is desirable
- Excellent networking skills with different stakeholders in the health sector, especially with civil society networks
- Experience and knowledge of project cycle management (formulation, monitoring and evaluation of cooperation projects and programmes)
- Public policy advocacy experience.
- Knowledge of the socio-economic and political context of the country
- Knowledge and skills in financial analysis and management
- Planning, management and organisation skills
- Results orientation
- Communication and people’s skills – ability to manage and work in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team
- Should be fluent in English, and have good working knowledge of another Indian language, preferably Hindi
- Computing skills (should be fluent in MS Office, especially Word and Excel and electronic communication)
Relocation : During the course of employment the post holder may be required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace controlled by Oxfam India
Travel : The Program Coordinator is required to travel extensively in India to support partners, contribute to the design, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programs and undertake Oxfam alignment activities as required. It is a condition of employment that staff abides by Oxfam India security and safety protocols, policies and procedures.
1. All applicants should apply on firstname.lastname@example.org
2. All applicants to put Programme Coordinator – Health-Delhi as the subject line
3. All applications shouldhave the covering letter and the CV as a single document, in a word format.
4. All applicants should mention the last drawn salary, salary expectation and the notice period.
5. The deadline for receiving applications is 18th June 2017.
6. Applications without the exact subject line will not be considered.
7. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Approved By: Director, Policy Research and Campaigns