Jammu and Kashmir Crisis
A flood alert has been issued in Jammu and Kashmir. Some locations are already water logged.
People in low lying areas are evacuating to higher ground. There are reports of a house collapsing because of landslide and 21 people are missing.
Road connectivity between Srinagar and Jammu is disrupted because of rains and earlier because of snow and landslides since March 6, 2015.
The Jhelum river is flowing above the danger mark. An Oxfam team is on the ground and reports are that there is moderate water logging in some villages.
These are the low lying areas of Pulwama and Anantnag along the river Jhelum and face floods every year.
A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team is on its way to Srinagar from Bhatinda.
- Oxfam is coordinating with local government focal points and UNICEF.
- Oxfam has staff based out of Srinagar, who have been deployed to the affected sites for an initial assessment.
- The team is assessing the water and sanitation situation and the emerging needs given the flooding that has happened over the last 24 hours.
- Details are still awaited from the administration and line departments. However, the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) team is in Pulwama (Kulgam area) assessing the situation.
- Oxfam is planning on stocking up chlorine tablets in Srinagar if the situation gets worse in the coming weeks.
Budgam, Anantanag,Pulwama, and Srinagar are affected by rising flood water from the Jhelum and its canals.
Rains in March are a seasonal occurrence in Jammu and Kashmir and moderate flooding is generally observed.
Essential infrastructure such as hospitals have been partially impacted by the rising water.
Track our Jammu & Kashmir Flood response in the past
Our Field Reports:
17th September 2014: Updates from J&K.
16th September 2014: Oxfam in Srinagar.
13th September 2014: Updates from Srinagar.
12th September 2014: Our Assesment on District Rajouri and some updates from Sri Nagar.
Contact Our Representatives:
Please contact our representatives through the following phone numbers/ email:
For individual donation queries, contact :
Email to: email@example.com