Donate for a cause
Please fill in your personal information.
*Your Contributions are eligible for 50% Tax benefit under section 80 G
North East Floods: How you can help those affected?
Manipur: Declared as state calamity by the Government of Manipur after torrential rain starting from 1st of July led to flash floods in many parts of Manipur. More than 14000 Households are affected. (Imphal East District (9200 HH), Thoubal District (4002 HH), Bishnupur District (850 HH), Kakching District (200 HH), Imphal West District (Report awaited). Source- SitRep Sphere India and IAG Manipur dated 7th of July 2017.
Assam –Incessant monsoon rains have caused floods in 20 districts namely Lakhimpur, Jorhat, Golaghat, Cachar, Dhemaji, Biswanath, Karimganj, Darrang, Sonitpur, Majuli, Barpeta, Nagaon, Nalbari, Shivasagar, Morigaon, Chirang, Dibrugarh, Dhubri, Kokrachar, South Salmara. A population of 12, 55,692 people living in 2053 villages of 20 districts and 67 revenue circles are affected. Source ASDMA 10th June 2017
29 people died during the flood either by electrocution or by drowning.
Actions Taken by OXFAM
- Oxfam India initiated response in Lakhimpur and Karimganj districts of Assam state.
- Oxfam India is coordinating with Sphere India, State IAG group of Assam and Manipur, partner organisations, State and District Disaster Management Authority on flood updates and tracking the crisis situation on ground and a coordinated response.
- OXFAM has completed detailed needs assessments in Lakhimpur and Karimganj districts.
- Oxfam jointly conducted a rapid assessment with Deputy Commissioner, Local MLA, NDRF team and local reporter in Karimganj. On interaction with the district officials, Deputy Commissioner has issued a letter to Oxfam to access, conduct flood rapid assessment and respond in the villages of Nilambazar and Karimganj Sadar Revenue Circles. The district administration has also provided permission for mobilizing contingency stock of relief material from Morigaon.
- On receiving the letter from the Deputy Commissioner Relief (District Karimganj) OXFAM has smoothly currently transporting the contingency stock from Morigaon to Karimgunj via Meghalaya for distribution to 1000 most vulnerable flood-affected households immediately.
- OXFAM distributed food items to 246 HH in the worst flood-affected revenue circle of Lakhimpur in Assam. Revenue Circle Name of the Villages No of Household
- 1000 Hygiene Kit and Shelter Kit distributed to the affected families
- 250 shelter kit and hygiene kits were also distributed.
- Public health promotion activities initiated in the affected villages
- Oxfam is supporting most affected communities from 14 villages and those who are living in temporary makeshift on national highway.
- 872 Hygiene Kit and Shelter kit distributed to Nilambazar and Karimganj Sadar revenue circle.
- Looking into the PHE situation in the district, 50 nag magic latrine slab and 24 super structure prepositioned and moved to Karimganj.
- PHE plan developed in consultation with community and government officials.
- Public health promotion activities undertaken in the villages and the camps.
- Oxfam India Programme Coordinator – DRR interacted with Deputy Commissioner of Imphal – East and Thoubal, Principal Secretary – Relief and Disaster Management for a strategic and coordinated response in the state.
- Oxfam India is coordinating with Humanitarian hub has deployed staff for a rapid assessment in the worst affected districts.
- Oxfam is responding in the 3 worst affected districts Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal.
- Oxfam India is putting efforts to transport contingency stock as the roads are blocked due to landslides.
You can help Oxfam India to support flood affected people.
* ALL DONATIONS MADE TO OXFAM INDIA ARE ELIGIBLE FOR 50% TAX EXEMPTION UNDER SECTION 80G
Content on this website is for general information purposes only. Your comments are provided by your own free will and you take sole responsibility for any direct or indirect liability. You hereby provide us with an irrevocable, unlimited, and global license for no consideration to use, reuse, delete or publish comments, in accordance with Community Rules & Guidelines and Terms and Conditions.