There are thousands of children in India who belong to economically weaker sections of our society. These children face harsh situations in their daily lives and are unable to reach their true potential. They want to study but lack resources to enrol or continue their education. Children either drop out of school due to lack of learning material, toilet facilities or awareness within their families or community level.
If that wasn't enough, the government may pass the bill to fail class 5 and 8 class students making it further difficult for children to receive education. 25 crore children in India will lose their dream if the government scraps the No Detention Policy’(NDP) which rejects failing children with poor marks in exams (competitive examination system.) Instead, (through Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation) helps student’s progress in multiple ways and receive quality education.
We need your support to demand the government to improve public education instead of punishing children. Every child has the right to education. Let's all come together to help these children get back to school and ensure that each child irrespective of their background gets a fair and equal chance of attaining primary education and achieving their dreams. The plight of these children should not be ignored.
Oxfam is working in the six poorest states of India (Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand and Orissa) to send the most vulnerable and underprivileged children back to school.
HOW DOES OXFAM MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF CHILDREN?
1. Oxfam identifies the most vulnerable children and enrols them to school under the Right to Education Act (RTE).
2. Oxfam counsels and forms school management groups to generate awareness related to RTE at village/district level.
3. Oxfam provides gap classes to drop out children and enrols them to their age appropriate classes.
4. Oxfam forms school management committees comprising of teachers, students and parents for better functioning and accountability.
5. Oxfam strengthens school infrastructure, build toilets, provide books and other learning materials to children and schools in need.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
By signing up for a monthly contribution of as little as Rs 500, you can help Oxfam educate thousands of underprivileged and vulnerable children in India.
These children come from the top six poorest states of India and have dreams to make it big. Your support will enable them to study and achieve their dreams.
Let's make a significant difference and give a better chance at life to underprivileged children to become future leaders!
Make a donation
Your contribution, however small it might be, will help us fight poverty and injustice. We thank you for your contribution which will make a big difference in someone’s life...